Thursday, April 21, 2011

No junk in the trunk and a new pair o' shoes

It's finally stopped raining. I hurried home after work to get the grass cut because I caught a glimpse on the news of a "Flood Warning" for the entire state of Maryland. Apparently I have an affinity for vintage motor works because my lawn tractor is a 1985 John Deere 318.  Ornery and cantankerous are kind words when describing this little beast and my wife usually complains that I stink like exhaust afterward. Amazingly, it fires right up and within a few hours, the deed is done.

Later as I ease into my chair with a cold one, I pop open my email and peruse the Inbox. Various enlargement offers, an urgent message from Dr. Iwana Robu from Nigeria, the usual rubbish and then - a message from Bill! I have to say it caught me of guard as I had really not expected anything more from Bill until Saturday morning.  I swear he must have been a stripper in another life because he has truly mastered the art of the tease! (Just kidding Bill!)

It was a response regarding an inquiry I made  earlier about the exhaust and the many leaks I noticed while the car was in the air.  Apparently there are more than what I spotted and he noted that we'd talk more about it on Saturday.  At the end of his note, he said there were a few pics attached.  Again, a bit ambiguous in the communique but then again.....

So the first pic is the new brakes.  Ah yes, daddy got a new pair of shoes and they look great!  I have to say that I will feel much more safe with these than 4-wheel drum.  As Bill had said earlier when I asked him about the rear-drum with front-disc combination his response was "It was good enough for Shelby".  That works for me.


Moving on the next pic, it's a shot of the trunk minus the "junk". Gone is the dented gas tank, and looking closer I note some other sweet changes.  The parking brake is properly setup, the "ugly" brake lines have been removed and I believe I see a new fuel line, very nice.  The underside looks pretty solid but I do note the bare metal in the wheel wells.  Might need to undercoat them later.....


And now the Pièce de résistance; the last picture.  When I took the car to CJPS, I had a vision in mind of a GT 350 tribute car adhering to the details that would lend credence to the original design.  In my mind the car would bear a close resemblance to this one but perhaps without the Lemans stripes:


The grille, rims and valance are all in alignment and as I open that last picture:


I can feel my heartbeat increase as "Fun" makes its way a little faster.

No comments:

Post a Comment