Sunday, March 27, 2011

The List

I am AR and borderline OCD. Really.  The Mustang "project" had taken 2 years and I had just barely scratched the surface.  Actually, that was the only thing that I had done.  I was getting frantic to make progress and when I finally had the opportunity to rewire the car one weekend, I jumped on it.  The girls had gone to the ocean for the weekend leaving me with the car and two dogs; perfect for a wire job.  After 10 hours of wiring and painstaking progress, I turned the key to check everything out; nothing. Great. Crap.  S**%@!

OK.  I started troubleshooting and in the midst of working things out at 1am in my delirium almost burned down the car (and the house) by shorting the starter out.  Thankfully the wire was thin and burned through since all I could do is run around like a chicken with my head cut off looking for something to cut the wire.  Wake up call. That was a close one.

So, we are now at the CJ Pony Service with Bill and being AR, I had a list prepared which I had emailed him the evening prior.  After going over the list, Bill suggested I email him a more specific list prioritizing what I wanted done first etc.  We came to agree that a safe functional daily driver was the first step.  Oh, here is the list:

 SAFETY

1.      Install Hazard Switch and Brake pedal parts to complete the brake system lighting and function
2.      Complete the installation of the neutral safety switch and reverse wiring
3.      I suspect once you install the cluster, the right turn signal indicator problem will go away.
4.      Brakes.  I want the 4-wheel disk system but will await recommendations from you. It will depend on how we deal with the rear gearing and axle whether we install a rear with the disc brakes or just approach the gears.
5.      Parking brake needs to function correctly and safely.
6.      Wipers.  Please fix parking issue.  Install wiper pump and bag (plastic reservoir is preferred since I am abandoning the OEM path).  Verify motor wiring.
7.      Suspension and steering controls.  Please verify and recommend.
8.      Throttle.  Please install cable linkage for safety purposes (if not already done). Mechanical linkage is dangerous.
9.      Heater\defrost\vents.  If the cost to install a total A\C is reasonable, please let me know.
10.  Install dual horns
11.  Ignition switch - please repair socket and mount
12.  Relocate engine ground from shock tower to appropriate location with proper strap\cable
13.  Fuel tank and line - secure tank and line properly to  avoid puncture and leakage 

And moving on....

AESTHETICS

1.      Headliner with dome light.  I have headliner insulation and material, with bows. Prep metal if needed.
2.      Glove Box with light
3.      Remove old carpet and underlayment.  Prep-preserve floor metal as needed. Replace with black carpet. 
4.      Shifter - replace and install lighted shifter
5.      Dash pad - install new
6.      Courtesy light(s)
7.      Backup lights
8.      Install era-appropriate exhaust tips
9.      Install remote trunk release
10.    Quote on radio

And last but not least:

PERFORMANCE

1.      3.25 gears in rear (or appropriate for C4 trans and balance of performance and fuel economy)2.      Inspect drive-train and recommend
3.      Inspect suspension and recommend
4.      Tune-up and optimize engine timing (oil change, tranny change, radiator flush and fill. Check thermostat for proper part\fitment)
5.      Engine - Please let me know it there is a cam on this or if any performance upgrades are evident.
6.      Install C4 shift kit
7.      Quote overdrive
8.      Quote kick-down linkage

As I look back over this I realize a few things.  One, I know absolutely nothing about car restoration and two, I REALLY hope Bill is an honest guy because if he's not I'm screwed.


(SPOILER ALERT)


Bill is a great guy and very easy to work with. You'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment