Saturday, March 26, 2011

Definition of "Fun"

"So John, what do you do for fun?", a friend of mine once asked me.  We had been discussing the various hobbies and interests each indulged in, and the question eventually made its way to me.  I thought about it, sorting out all of the things I did that were fun but not necessarily of my choosing.  Being a father of two with a Real Estate agent wife left little time for extracurriculars and at the time, I had a four hour daily commute.  "Sleep" was the only thing I could come up with to which everyone gave the gratuitous "Oh yeah", and moved on to the next guy.

Sleep? Wow, had life gotten that mundane and arduous that the only solace I could find was sleeping?  I thought long and hard about it. What truly appealed to me? Blank. Nothing. I knew I was in trouble and I needed a hobby, fast.  But what would it be? Well, on December 25, 2008, my little brother Mike helped me out in a VERY big way; he bought me a 1965 Mustang.

Rewind just slightly so I can give my brother props for doing it right.  On the day my brother visited for Christmas, he brought the movie "Gone in 60 - Seconds".  If you haven't seen the movie, check it out.  Near the end the younger brother hands over the title of a car to Nicolas Cage (older brother).  In kind, Mike handed me an envelope with a title enclosed.  Way to go bro. I was speechless.




OK. I have the car of my dreams but it needs a little work.  Aestheically, the car looks fine, but there are some issues with the interior and electrical systems.  No problem.  A former Marine, I tend to be overly optimistic and never back down from a challenge.  I am fairly adept with hand tools and very capable with electrical systems. How hard could it be? I was about to find out; the hard way.

Over the next two years, I managed to rewire the car with the Painless kit, replace the fuel eccentric and timing chain, and fiddle with the dash cluster.  This was all done in three days.  Over the course of two years. At this rate I'll be dead before the car moves a mile, and that is just unacceptable.  I need to drive the car, not work on it.  I had the vision in my head and ordered parts to that end; boxes littered my office and garage and half-finished projects left tools laying everywhere.



With my weekends at a premium and no time during the week, I needed help.  I've had the car at body shops and garages but noone really knows Mustangs inside and out, and I am picky. Functional integrity is top priority for me and I really needed the experts; enter CJ Pony Service. Alleluia.

No comments:

Post a Comment